My Next Adventure: Why Townsville?




Goooooood afternoon blogger world and happy Sunday! 

I wanted to write a quick post today to address a question that I’ve been getting a lot lately. Why are you moving to Townsville?

For those of you know don’t know, at the end of January 2019 I am moving my life up to Townsville North Queensland with one of my best gal pals to go back to university and finish my psychology degree. 

I’ve been asked by a lot of people why of all of the places in Australia, I decided to apply to James Cook University in Townsville. Why I wouldn’t, as most people expected, move back down to Melbourne to finish my degree at Swinburne, the university where I completed my first year. 

Now, what most people don’t know, is that I made the decision a while ago that I would never move back down south, to Melbourne or Sydney unless I needed to for work or something similar. Queensland has absolutely stolen my heart. The lifestyle, the people, the weather, the natural landscapes, all of it. 

I get the same question about this a lot; what makes Queensland so different to living down south? Apart from the obvious answer of the weather (and the extra amount of animals that are out to kill ya), the main difference that stood out to me are the people. When you’re walking around Melbourne or Sydney, you get a very intense city vibe. What I mean by this is that each person is walking around in their own world, head down, one step behind running, not acknowledging anyone or anything around them in their little stress ball of getting where they are going as quickly as possible. 

Queensland is different. Even if you do go into their biggest city, Brisbane, people walk with their heads up, slower and enjoying their walk. They smile at you or say g’day as you walk past, giving Brisbane the beautiful feel of a small country town in the middle of a city. 

It’s absolutely beautiful. And one thing that I’ve found in my 5 months working as a tour guide around Central and North Queensland is that theme, that vibe, is pretty consistent no matter where you go. It’s less stressful, it’s less intense and it’s just purely, in my opinion, a beautiful place to live. 

When it comes to Townsville itself, my reasoning for moving there is pretty simple. 3 things:

1. The main one, that my dream and goal is to complete my post graduate psychology study and then continue work through the Australian Defence Force as a military psychologist. Townsville being one of the biggest military towns in Australia, is absolutely perfect 

2. James Cook University is a fantastic uni that has a very strong psych department 

3. My guilty pleasure, that Townsville is only a 20 minute ferry ride away from my absolute favourite place not only in Australia, but in the world, Magnetic Island! 

Just over a month to go and I could not be more excited for my next adventure!! I hope you guys will enjoy hearing all about it! 

HAPPY REST OF YOUR DAY! 
T

Comments

Popular Posts